The EDGAR PYE RESEARCH SHOLARSHIP.
The 2019 Scholarship Fund, from which awards will be allocated, was £4000.00
The Research Project.
The aim is to sponsor a research-based project chosen competitively. The project may be in any area of farm animal feeding including animal nutrition and management, feed production and marketing. The project can be undertaken in the UK, abroad or based on travel to study the appropriate subject.
Who may Apply?
The Edgar Pye Research Scholarship is open to anyone who is either studying agriculture or a related subject, or who is already employed in the UK or Irish Animal Feed Industry, and is resident in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland.
The basis on which Edgar Pye Research Scholarships will be awarded:
The award will be given to the applicant, who, in the opinion of the panel of judges, has most capably:
• Identified an area of research relevant to the UK and Irish Compound Feed Industry in the forthcoming five years
• Prepared a programme thoroughly, including sources of information
• Provided a realistic budget for the costs of the project
• Presented the proposals clearly and according to the rules
The Benefits of being awarded an Edgar Pye Research Scholarship:
1. A research scholarship award of up to £4000.00 will be given towards the research project described in the application. In recent years awards have ranged from £1500.00 to £2500.00.
2. Early exposure to the feed industry with enhanced employment opportunities
3. Contributing to developments in the animal feed industry
1. Closing date for submission – 31st May.
2. Entries to be typewritten double-spaced not exceeding 5000 words. Entries to be single sided on A4 paper. Please email entries to email@example.com
3. The proposed research must be within the broad subject areas described above, and the objectives of the project must be set out clearly.
4. The project must be fully described and a budget of costs provided.
5. The amount awarded to a successful applicant will be at the discretion of the judges.
6. More than one applicant may receive an award at the discretion of the judges.
7. It is hoped to select the winner by 31st July and the project described and the award made shortly afterwards. The successful candidate will then have a set period, depending on the project, to complete it and submit a draft paper in a format provided to the SFT Advisory Committee.
8. All applicants must agree that if awarded an Edgar Pye Scholarship they will give a presentation, the scholarship research project, at an SFT conference within 18 months of the award. Travel and subsistence expenses to the conference will be reimbursed.
9. Entries will be submitted to a panel of judges selected by the Trustees of the Edgar Pye Research Scholarship Trust.
10. The decision of the judges is final.
The Research Scholarship has been awarded over the past few years for the following research projects:
• How do Prebiotics Influence the Metabolic Pathways – Expressed by Chicken Caecal Microbiota.
• The Nutritional Value of Seaweed in Dairy Cow Nutrition.
• Superdosing of Phytase –Research and implications.
• Early Nutritional Strategies to promote lifetime pig performance.
• An investigation into the factors influencing the microbiological status of wheat entering feed and flour mills.
• Determination of the apparent and standardised amino acid digestibility values for wheat distillers dried grains with solubles supplemented with or without exogenous enzymes for broilers.
• The influence of Dietary Benzoic Acid and Turmeric (curcuma longa L) meal supplementation on the growth performance, nutrient utilization and intestinal health of broilers.
• Investigating the transfer of genes from genetically modified (GM) maize to the pig intestinal microbiota: one of the steps in determining the safety of GM feed.
About the Society of Feed Technologists (SFT)
The SFT exists for the furtherance of knowledge amongst professional
members of the Animal Feed Industry in the UK and Ireland. It hosts several
conferences each year, and enjoys an expert membership of Nutritionists,
Field Advisors, Senior Technical Managers, Production Managers, General
Managers, Directors and others. Conference papers are presented on a
wide range of subjects, with an appropriate degree of specialisation at each
Conference. Printed papers are available usually immediately and these are
edited and indexed as Annual Proceedings for members.
The Edgar Pye Scholarship Trust is grateful to the sponsors who have helped to make this possible in 2019:
The Research Scholarship is open to anyone who is either studying agriculture or a related subject, or who is already employed in the Animal Feed Industry, and is resident in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland. Please apply by submitting your project via the message facility on this page or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: for more information please contact email@example.com